Author Topic: Die Dood van Diertjies vir ons Plesiertjies...  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Angelica

• Regular Members
  • Hardebaard
Die Dood van Diertjies vir ons Plesiertjies...
« on: July 25, 2015, 02:04:48 PM »
BOTOX...  Dit is wat ons moet weet. 
Ek het hierdie van die NSPCA se blad geleen om dit te versprei.
Om die waarheid te se, om jouself te laat inspuit met die gif, maak jy jouself net vir jouself 'mooi'.
Dit is net soveel aantrekliker om met jou kreukels ouer te word.  Dan nie?

Botox Kills

As a person who has appeared on television a time or two and who always concentrates on how the lines on my face might appear rather than on what I am saying – well, Botox seemed like something worth considering. Vanity, of course but it did sound like a miracle solution. In case you didn't know, it is the procedure that smooths out frown lines on foreheads or the lines between eyebrows or around your eyes. Its treatment for wrinkles lasts for three to six months which is good news on the one hand but it does mean that the procedure has to be repeated every six months to maintain a wrinkle-free face.

Nearly 2.3 million Botox procedures were performed in the USA in 2003 for cosmetic purposes. There are other approved uses of Botox which include treatment for migraine headaches and crossed eyes (cervical dystonia).

Here's where the problem comes in – and why the Editor of Animals in Focus will stick with her lines and wrinkles.

Botox (or Botulinium Toxin Type A) works by blocking nerve signals between the brain and muscles, effectively paralysing the muscles that cause wrinkles and certain medical disorders. Botox is produced from bacteria, created with varying levels of potency – some batches of the drug being stronger than others. To determine the proper strength for each vial of Botox ... the product must be tested.

Allergan, the pharmaceutical company manufacturing Botox faces the Court of public opinion over an indisputable fact: - animals suffer and die in the potency testing of Botox. Each batch must be tested before it is released to doctors or dermatologists and Allergan uses the highly questionable test known as LD50 whose sole purpose is to find the dose that kills 50% of the animals used in the test.

You read that right. The end point of the LD50 test is death to 50% of the animals used. The test's full name is the Lethal Dose 50 Percent. Our information comes courtesy of the Humane Society of the United States (please refer to http://www.hsus.org/ace/21435) who believe this type of testing must end. Th HSUS is urging consumers who use Botox purely for cosmetic purposes to avoid the product until Allergan stop testing it on animals. There are additional calls for individuals to write to Allergan to convince the company that animals should not die in the name of beauty and to contact the US Food and Drug Administration to demand that the agency funds, researches and approves alternatives to LD50 testing.

This test involves giving mice a single injection of the product into their abdominal cavity and seeing if the animals die within 3 to 4 days. Mice are assigned to various groups, each group receiving a different strength of the product to estimate the strength that will kill half the targeted group. That strength (the LD50 value) is then considered a single unit of Botox. From there, Allergan packages a given number of units into a vial for human use. Approximately 100 mice have conventionally been used per test.
elle

Offline Meraai vannie Baai

• Wysgeer
  • Elke dag aan ons Geskenk, is 'n kosbare voorreg.
Re: Die Dood van Diertjies vir ons Plesiertjies...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 02:18:17 AM »
Oi joi joi!!!  :crybaby2:

Offline Jeannedarc

• Regular Members
  • Snuiter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »
I personally am not in favour of Botox at all. I have no problems with "plooie". I also agree that certain of these experiments performed on animals constitutes cruelty to animals. This is the one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is: medical research has to be done to inter alia determine the toxicity of chemical agents. Some of the research done is done on human beings - after the animal trials - to determine the side effects to humans. Humans can't be used for the research for the simple reason the human reproductive rate is to slow and the main reason humans are on top of the development chain. Mice and rats, hamsters are used because of their tremendous rate of reproduction.

Offline Anastasia

• Regular Members
  • Snuiter
  • My taal is Liefde
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »
Selfsvorekdie geweet het, het ek besluit Botox is nie vir my nie.  Ek was nog altyd daarvan oortuig dat dit op die lang duur ongesonde gevolge kan he.  Ek leef met genot saam met my lewenslyne.  Dis deel van die leefproses!  In elkgeval het ek n baie ekspresiewe gesig, en wil ek nie met n masker watgeen gevoelkan wys deur die lewe gaan nie.  Die diere wat geskaad word versterk maar net my gevoel.
Ek huppel en dans deur die lewe met drie bene!

Offline Jeannedarc

• Regular Members
  • Snuiter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
I'm in total agreement with you - I hate a blown-up face, it's unnatural. I'm also not in favour of animals being used in research in the cosmetic industry