Author Topic: The Cold Season...  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Angelica

• Regular Members
  • Hardebaard
The Cold Season...
« on: July 16, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »
The Cold Season
Winter, in it's dark, wet cloak send shivers down my spine. Just the mere thought of Winter makes me depressed.  I love Summer.  I love the long, hot, sunny days.  The endless evenings outside around a braai fire.  Much more fun than Winter.
Put on the right armour, change your attitude if you can't change the season, they say.  But I don't care what they say, to me Winter is for hibernating.  Winter is depressing.  And I refuse to try what I dish out here.  I refuse point blank.  Over and out.  I want to hibernate.  They say mommy bears spend long, long months just sleeping under their ice blankets.  Weird thing that ice can make you a pretty warm and cozy nest.  Crazy.  How does that work?
They call it the 'moody season'.  And rightly so, for such long hours are spent indoors with family, partners, spouses, kids.  And a few dogs.  And probably a cat or two.
Things can get a little hot and bothered between those four walls.  They suggested you spend as much time as possible doing your bit outdoors.  So, get out, feel the cold air on your skin.  It's refreshing.  Think of the fun you and your family can have by playing outside in puddles of icy water while wearing raincoats and rubber boots.  Excellent exercise in the cold, fresh air.  Go on, try it.  Just let me be.  I'm quite comfy inside, thanks.  After all, books are much more of a friend in Winter than an icy puddle.  True?  True.
The stillness of Winter can make you negative.  Do not blame the season for your depressive mode.  Rather embrace the cold, stillness of Winter and get some exercise.  Take the dog for a walk.  Go to the gym for a much needed workout.  Walk, don't drive, to the corner store to buy the newspaper and milk.  Exercise will release those endorphins to bring out the confidence and happy feelings.  Try it.  It realy does work. For others mybe.  I have not tried yet.  And never will.  Exercise I get from climbing in and out my bed to sleep and to read and to walk to the microwave to heat up some soup. 
So, put on the right armour and change your attitude if you can't change the season.  Good advice given by the experts.  I wonder if those experts follow their own advice so boldly dished out to us shivering souls in this harsh, cold weather.
There is something else that changes in this cold weather.  And I am so pretty sure that it happens to each and everyone.  For I can see by the end of Winter how clothes have shrunk and a larger jeans size is bought.  Come Spring and gyms are sweating from their roofs and walls from overheated bodies working off that excess weight.  If you can afford the heavy monthly fees.  Others take to the streets for a jog, a walk or cycling.  Cost you nothing.  Maybe just a stab in the back from a passer-by wanting the system dangling from your ears. Or your cell phone.  I carry a can of pepper spray and flaunt it to everyone who just looks my way.  True.  No jokes.
Craving for hot and hearty stews, deliciously rich and sweet puddings with custard or hot chocolate sauses in front of crackling fires spent with friends, family, the cat or a pile of books or mags, are all tabu for those who fear an extra kilo or two added on in this crazy time.  But what can be more satisfactory than a mug of hot chocolate while sitting under grandma's chrocheted 'knie kombersie' before that cracking fire?  That is serious relaxation.  And we all need a bit now and then.  Not so?
Oh man, and those long, hot baths till you go al wrinkled and pink. That is sure bliss.  Rub in luxurious oils and creams.  Head to toes.  Who needs to spend a week-end away at a Spa? Huh?  Spa is right there in your very own bathroom.  And you can do that twice a day, if you wish.  If Eskom permits, to add.
So, change your attitude and have fun.  And start preparing yourself for Spring.  I'ts right there behind those dark layers of  heavy winter clouds that are dangerously lurking behind another heavy cloud of icy rain.  Brrrr!!  So, change that attitude.  After all, activities are going to explode again in just a short while. They say that you work on you Summer bod during Winter.  Ja, it's true, but boy, it's not so easy. 
Now to get me and myself motivated.  But first of all, I need a long sleep under tons of layers of covers with a hot water bottle, or two.  Hibernation, they call it.
©Elsabe
++++
elle

Offline Meraai vannie Baai

• Wysgeer
  • Elke dag aan ons Geskenk, is 'n kosbare voorreg.
Re: The Cold Season...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:34:34 AM »
Terdee geniet! My prioriteite nou in orde. Gaan opkrul voor 'n vuurtjie met 'n boek en my laslappie-knie-bersie  :headbang: